One of my favourite subjects at comprehensive school was English Literature. I fondly think back to those lessons. The assigned reading, the bookish tutor, roundtable discussions, autumn mornings, burning the midnight oil. It was a magical, fleeting time. What is said and unsaid, the meaning and intention. Endlessly fascinating thought experiments.
This skill dovetails nicely with the Human Resources Professional (HRP). The schools of thought that overlap HRM practices are legion. Everything from psychology, law, sociology, politics, technology, business, ethics, finance, management, etc., is practical, relevant, and insightful.
There is no tangible 'something' that guarantees perfect understanding. Perfection is fiction, and human subjectivity is fluid. But the one mantra I have always found helpful in matters of people is this: to be understood is good, but to be heard is better.
Please find cited below the books and publications I have found instructive.
- Armstrong, M. (2020). Handbook of Strategic Human Resource Management: Improve Business Performance Through Strategic People Management. 7th edn. London: Kogan Page.
- Armstrong, M., & Taylor, S. (2023). Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice: A Guide to the Theory and Practice of People Management. 16th edn. London: Kogan Page.
- Boxall, P., Purcell, J., & Wright, P. (2008). The Oxford Handbook of Human Resource Management. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Denzin, N.K., & Lincoln, Y.S. (2023). The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research. 5th edn. London: Sage.
- Dessler, G. (2019). Human Resource Management: Global Edition. 16th edn. Cambridge: Anspear.
- Kidner, R. (2021). Blackstone's Statutes on Employment Law: 2021-2022. 31st edn. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Rees, G., & French, R. (2022). Strategic People Management and Development: Theory and Practice. 6th edn. London: Kogan Page.
- Reiche, B.S., Tenzer, H., & Harzing, A-W. (2022). International Human Resource Management. 6th edn. London: Sage Publications.
- Torrington, D., Hall, L., Taylor, S., & Atkinson, C. (2020). Human Resource Management. 11th edn. London: Pearson.